Vacation Rental Insurance FAQs

What type of policy is needed for short-term vacation rentals?

If you rent your home to the public, you run a business and therefore need commercial insurance. Homeowners and landlord policies specifically exclude business activities. What if you are sued by a renter who slips in the shower, falls down the stairs, is injured or killed in a fire? What if a renter accidentally burns down your property? You can be held liable for these types of scenarios.  

The CBIZ vacation rental insurance policy, developed exclusively for short-term vacation rentals, provides property (building and contents), liability, and loss of income coverage. In the event of a covered loss, the policy will pay the loss of rental income for as long as you are out of the business, up to the limit you select on the policy. 

What types of properties does it cover?

Single family homes, town homes, condos, duplexes, cabins and more! Call for more information.

What coverage is included?


  • Replacement cost coverage for your building and contents
  • Includes damage caused by a guest
  • $25,000 backup of sewer and drains
  • $10,000 unattached structures
  • $50,000 additional living expenses (when home is your primary residence)


  • $2,000,000 general aggregate
  • $1,000,000 each occurrence
  • $1,000,000 personal and advertising injury
  • $1,000,000/$2,000,000 personal liability (when home is your primary residence)
  • $5,000 medical payments, any one person
  • Product liability included
  • Claim defense expenses are paid in addition to the occurrence limit 
  • Coverage extends to amenities such as pools, docks, lakes, hot tubs, bicycles, exercise equipment, small watercraft and pets
  • Property managers are included as additional insureds at no extra cost

Business Income & Extra Expense:

  • Loss of rental income following an insured property loss 
  • Actual loss sustained with no time limit
  • Extended business income for an additional 180 days after the property is repaired
Are the amenities at my property covered?

Yes. The policy includes commercial liability coverage for amenities such as:

  • Swimming pools and hot tubs
  • Docks and piers
  • Watercraft (up to 10 HP)
  • Canoes, paddleboards, kayaks
  • Exercise equipment, bicycles and more

Am I covered if I have a landlord policy?

No. Similar to a homeowner’s policy, a landlord policy excludes business activities. 

Is this supplemental coverage?

No. The CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance policy is comprehensive coverage specifically designed for short-term vacation rentals. It includes coverage for owners who reside in the property.

If I reside at my vacation rental home, does the CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance policy cover me?


How do I determine the amount I need for building coverage?

The building limit should be the cost to rebuild the building, not the market value of the property. 


How much time does it take to put coverage in place?

We have same day binding authority, which means you can be insured the same day you apply. 


What insurer do you work with?

CBIZ has developed specific policy coverage for vacation rentals with Tudor Insurance, an A.M. Best’s Rated A XV carrier. This policy is only available through CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance.

The A.M. Best rating signifies that Tudor has an excellent ability to meet its ongoing insurance obligations, such as paying claims. The Best's ratings are recognized worldwide as the benchmark for assessing insurers’ financial strength.

Why should I select CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance?

We are the first broker to develop specific policy coverage to meet exposure needs for vacation home rental properties and the amenities offered by these businesses. This insurance policy is exclusive to CBIZ and underwritten by Tudor Insurance, an A.M. Best Rated A XV company.

Because our CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance program is solely focused on insuring short-term vacation rentals, our sales professionals possess a great deal of knowledge about the industry. We are the largest insurer of vacation rental properties in the United States and have insured short-term vacation rental properties since 2002. We can write properties in less desirable areas such as high fire, wind or coastal zones. Excess liability, flood and earthquake coverage is also available.


Contact Us

Sales - 888.883.5696

Service - 855.945.5221

Claims - 855-945-5221

 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST, Monday - Friday       

 After normal business hours,  please call 888-847-8600