Ward, Hayden

Should You Allow Fireworks At Your Rental Property?

Sparklers and fireworks at vacation rentals

Fireworks are a staple of the Fourth of July and many other celebrations, but remember to take precautions to ensure your rental property is safe and accident-free. Even mild fireworks—such as sparklers—can get hot enough to burn through clothing. To help answer the question, “Should I allow fireworks at my property?” we’re discussing the risks and alternatives to fireworks.

The Risk of Allowing Fireworks at Your Rental

Unfortunately, many people do not realize just how dangerous fireworks and sparklers can be—which is a primary reason that injuries occur. Fireworks can not only injure the users but can also affect bystanders.

Bottle rockets and firecrackers can fly in any direction and may explode on or near someone instead of up in the air. Sparklers are also a huge risk, as they burn at very high temperatures and are often given to children too young to use them safely. All fireworks pose potential risks of burn, blindness and other injuries.

Aside from injuries, home insurance claims and fires also play a big role in this tradition. According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), if a fire is started by someone who’s not a family member, you’re covered whether the firework was legal or not. However, allowing your guests to set off fireworks opens you up to major risks such as property damage and loss of income.

If you decide fireworks may not be the best decision to have at your property, clearly communicate your request with your guests.

Tips to Safely Use Fireworks at Your Vacation Rental

If your state and county allow consumer fireworks and you feel comfortable letting guests light them off at your property, it’s a wise idea to brief them on firework safety. Even basic information such as following the directions on the back of the fireworks’ packaging could save them from getting severely burned. Here are some suggestions to ensure safety and avoid accidents:

  • Use fireworks and sparklers outdoors only.
  • Always have a hose or water bucket handy.
  • Only use fireworks as intended. Do not alter or combine them, and do not use homemade fireworks.
  • Keep spectators a safe distance away.
  • Never give sparklers to young children.
  • Do not shoot fireworks off if under the influence of alcohol.
  • Show children how to properly hold sparklers, how to stay far enough away from other children and what not to do (throw, run or fight with sparkler in hand)—but supervise closely, regardless.
  • Point fireworks away from people, homes, trees, etc.
  • Never try to relight a dud (a firework that didn’t properly ignite).
  • Soak all firework debris in water before throwing it away.

Provide Firework Show Information

Fireworks are synonymous with the Fourth of July. If you do not allow fireworks to be shot off at your property, you can always direct your guests to awesome nearby fireworks shows. Promoting where your property is situated in relation to the show, may reel in the perfect crowd.

Make sure to list all fireworks, or Fourth of July celebration shows happening near your vacation rental. Don’t forget to include the distances to all of them from your rental and add in a few parking tips.

Keep Calm and Sparkle On with Vacation Rental Insurance

Go out with a bang for the right reasons. Make firework safety a priority at your rental property this Fourth of July. Request a free quote today to learn more about protecting your vacation rental through CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance.

This blog may contain scenarios that are provided as examples only. Coverage is subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy issued. The information provided is general in nature and may be affected by changes in law or the interpretation of such laws. The reader is advised to contact a professional prior to taking any action based upon this information.

9545 Rate this article:
No rating

Theme picker

About Us

CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance, a division of CBIZ Insurance Services,Inc., is the largest insurer of short-term vacation rental properties in the United States. As part of an $850 million New York Stock Exchange traded company (CBZ), we are the first broker to develop specific policy coverage to meet the needs for vacation rental properties and the amenities offered by these businesses. We have insured vacation rental properties since 2002.

The CBIZ Vacation Rental Insurance team knows insurance, specifically the risks and exposures related to short-term vacation rentals.We won't confuse you with technical "insurance speak" ~ our representatives are well versed in explaining your coverage in plain English. With hands-on, personal customer service, we guarantee swift communication and a 24/7 claims team that is ready to respond to your call any time of the day. As specialist in the industry, we leverage our knowledge and passion to ensure you and your business are adequately protected.